In 2006, I made a choice that changed my whole life. I gave up my career in advertising and I returned to graduate school to learn about supporting people and their mental health. I had been working in television & radio production from a cubicle for many years. Once I had an office, I I studied an open door policy, and told my coworkers to come in any time. I found that everyday I was fielding questions from coworkers and providing advice I wasn’t qualified to give. Our conversations included everything from production to dating/marital advice and family dynamics to grief.
I decided that I wanted to know more about the support I was providing. It wasn’t anything I ever thought I would do. I just knew I had the ability to connect with others, provide a safe space to explore their concerns, and create the support they needed to create meaningful change in their lives. Recognizing this strength, I knew there was a better career path for me.
Now 10 years into my career as a mental health warrior, I’ve recognized some support I would like to provide providers. Having worked in addiction and lived in places where laws have already changed, I know that we need to know so much more about cannabis. There’s is tons of new information and to best support our clients, you must understand more.
I’ve seen many professionals shy away when I start talking about cannabis. So if you feel inclined to do so, this is for you. Please consider the following reasons why you need to know more about cannabis:
1. The general public doesn’t require their research to be peer reviewed.
Certainly having peer reviewed mental health information is preferable to ensure the quality of research and adherence to ethical standards. The rigorous review process lends to the validity and creditability of the findings. The peer review process is integral to scholarly research subjecting methods and findings to the scrutiny of other experts in the field.
Due to the aspects of it’s history in the United States, cannabis research has not been subjected to this type recorded of trial. (Need to brush up on your knowledge of Cannabis History, click here.)
While science is trying to catch up on all the years lost of valuable research time, the cannabis industry is booming with earning projected at $57 billion by 2027. According to Arcview Market Research, the recreational market will cover 67% of the spending; medical cannabis will take up the remaining 33%.
A new study from Yahoo News and Marist University reports that more than half of Americans have already tried cannabis at least once in their lives and close to 35% report regular use of at least once of twice a month. So while you maybe waiting for proper research to be completed, millions of cannabis users aren’t.
Whether you support the legalization of cannabis or not, your clients will be using it for all kinds of reasons- with and without difficulties. If you don’t know about the endocannabinoid system, cannabinoids, and terepenes- it’s time to start learning!
2. More people are trying cannabis.
3. Articles like this one are telling people to find other providers if they can’t talk to you about using cannabis.
From traditional to social media and everything in between- there are reports about CBD, visiting a dispensary, and treating illnesses with medical cannabis. The new emerging cannabis market is constantly developing and making headlines.
Your clients struggling with anxiety, depression, PTSD, OCD, schizophrenia, bipolar, ADHD, addiction and more… are seeing more and more information about how their disorder maybe best treated cannabis. Can you answer their questions about this?
4. PTSD is one the most common qualifying conditions for medical cannabis use.
The 31 of the 50 states permit medical use fo cannabis for the disorder.That’s more that half of these United States. So if a client struggling with PTSD hasn’t yet come to you asking about medical cannabis, it’s just a matter of time. Do you know how best to answer their questions? Cannabis is proving to be a very effective treatment for PTSD. So get the facts and give them to your clients!
5. If your clients struggling with anxiety, depression, PTSD, OCD, schizophrenia, bipolar, ADHD, addiction and more…
All of these mental health disorders are now being treated by cannabis experts, and your clients are reading more and more information about how their disorder maybe best treated cannabis. There is a lot to know about cannabis and the endocannabinoid system. And sure it’s okay if your clients know more then you do, but it’s better if you can meet them where they are. It’s important to learn about cannabis treatment methods.
6. Thousands of research projects are underway.
7. Navigating the information.
8. Do no harm.
9. Who’s using cannabis and also getting therapy.